BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Beginning!

Hello all!


Firstly, I would like to say that I LOVE Japan!! Oh my...where do I even begin? 4 days ago I walked left my home and landed in Chicago for my connecting flight to Tokyo. The majority of the passengers on the plane were Asian, and that was when I first realized that I was really moving to Japan. My flight was long, but I was accompanied by a friend so we watched movies on the plane (Whip It and This is it....to name a few), ate, and talked through most of the 14 hours.
When we arrived in Tokyo I experienced culture shock for the first time. I was surrounded by Japanese speaking people who did not know much or any English. I went through a series of checks (like looking at my visa and passport), and at the customs line I was greeted by a very happy, kind Japanese gentlemen. He tried to converse, but I did not understand a word he said so I started blushing (because I felt dumb!) and he did too hahahaha I bowed politely, and I think he wished me luck. After customs all the new teachers carried their luggage to the bus and we got to Sendai around 1 a.m. We were all extremely exhausted, but it was so hard to sleep when we were looking at our technologic apartments! (I'll go into more detail later) My apt. was stocked with food, completely furnished, and included a welcome painting on the door!

Then, the next couple days we completed alien registration, health insurance, and opening a bank account. We also toured both campuses (Takamori and Maruyama.)

I can not explain how great it is here. I love everyone that I will be working with for the next year. We have been visiting each other's apts., eating meals together, playing volleyball (we play every Tues. and Thurs. in public school gyms with the American and Japanese staff), and going downtown. I have bruises on my arms from playing volleyball with beasts on Thurs. haha...and the ball is as hard as wood.
Today, we went downtown to do some shopping (clothes and apt. stuff), and I must say that I looooooove being a city girl because 1. there are great places to shop and 2. there were people everywhere!!!

I have composed several lists about my experiences. If I didn't give enough info let me know and I would love to elaborate!!

Japanese People
  • everyone stares! I can't even tell you how many times people have taken pictures of me. hahaha
  • Japanese children are sooooo cute!!! They love to talk to us so they yell out, "Hello!" and "Bye Bye"...and that's about the extent of their English. haha (excluding the kids at our school)
  • Japanese teens and adults also love to try out their English so they may walk by and hear us speaking to each other approach us, whip out their English phrase books, and start talking to us!
  • Japanese guys are delish. They are usually extremely shy, but a few have approached me and tried their English on me :D
  • I now know about 7 or 8 words/phrases. I need to learn Japanese....badly.
P.S. Check out the Japanese boy band "News" and prepare to fall in love.

Konichiwa!!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Dude, that's so crazy! It sounds like a ton of fun. I can't wait to hear all your stories! :)

Anonymous said...

Bahaha! If you and Japanese man had a baby I hope it has blonde hair.